• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Alleged Salary Overpayment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

V

volkgti

I worked for AT&T (in New Jersey) for several years, but gave my two week notice May 22nd 2000. At the time, if AT&T believed you were going to a competitor, they were kicking you out the same day you gave notice. When I handed in my two week notice, I was told to leave that day. I was willing to work the two weeks, but was not given that option. Basically, the end result was like being fired on the spot just for giving my two week notice. I left that day (May 22nd), but when I received my paycheck at the end of the month, they paid me through the end of May. Now they want that money back saying I didn't work it. All of the other people that were quitting around the same time were being paid for their two week notice even though they were kicked out right away. My problem is, do they have the right to kick you out right away and not pay you for your two week notice? If so, why would anyone ever give a two week notice? Anyway, they have a collection agency after me now. What can I do?

L

lawrat

If you knew you were not supposed to be overpayed, you owe them. if you already cashed your check AND they didn't go after the others, you are okay.

Contact the collection agency and let them know they have no legal right to collect. If they attempt, you will sue them and the company for whom you worked. (p.s. never mention company names).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">