• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

gifting circle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

Blueone

I joined a gifting circle and had the misfortune to "birthday". This means I received money from others as a gift. After I received money I found out through the media that gifting circles are illegal. I have paid back the people who gave me money, but have just received a demand letter from a woman that I already paid. I have a signed notarized statement saying that I paid her back in full. She has decided that since one of the other people that was gifted at the same time I was can not pay her back the money that I should be responsible. She says she is going to turn me over to every legal office I can think of. Is my signed, notarized statement from her and the others I paid back enough to protect me or should I get a lawyer? If I don't need a lawyer what do I do to get her to leave me alone? If I do need a lawyer what kind of lawyer would help me?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Blueone said:
I joined a gifting circle and had the misfortune to "birthday". This means I received money from others as a gift. After I received money I found out through the media that gifting circles are illegal. I have paid back the people who gave me money, but have just received a demand letter from a woman that I already paid. I have a signed notarized statement saying that I paid her back in full. She has decided that since one of the other people that was gifted at the same time I was can not pay her back the money that I should be responsible. She says she is going to turn me over to every legal office I can think of. Is my signed, notarized statement from her and the others I paid back enough to protect me or should I get a lawyer? If I don't need a lawyer what do I do to get her to leave me alone? If I do need a lawyer what kind of lawyer would help me?
My response:

Ignorance of the law is no excuse, and is certainly not a defense.

Therefore, merely remind her that she was "just as involved" in comitting the illegal acts just as much as you were. So, if she wants to "report you" to any authorities, just remind her that she'll be implicating herself.

Tell her to take a flying leap. The law does not assist those with "unclean hands".

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">