• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ladylen58

I am from Mississippi....My uncle lived in California, he made a will and put a hugh amount of money on his estate. Can anyone put a hugh money value on their estate..when making a will, if it is not true?Thanks, ladylen58

anteater

I think that you will need to explain better what you mean by "...put a hugh amount of money on his estate." And add some particulars about the case.

I can bequeath millions to various people in my will. I might think that I will have millions to dispose of when I die. Or I might just be a mean, ol' cuss who wants people to think that they will win the lottery when I die and I can have a good laugh from the grave when they discover I don't have millions. Either way, that does not necessarily invalidate the will. The people just aren't going to receive millions.

ShyCat

Not sure what you're expecting, but...

I can say my house is valued as $1,000,000 when I write my will, but if it's really only worth $350,000 when I die, then that is the value of it when it goes into my estate for distribution. What I said it was worth (whether due to an insane real estate bubble, boastful bragging or just wishful thinking) when I wrote the will is irrelevent.

Likewise, if you thought you were going to get Uncle Joe's $1,000,000 stock portfolio, you may feel slighted when you end up with only $500,000 in stock after the market crashed but if you received the stock portfolio you were willed, then you got all you're going to get.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">