• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

FSBO helper?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nationwidehome

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana

I am in the process of starting a website for Realtors and FSBO's to list their homes. I am considering offering a service to FSBO's to help them. I would list the home, take photos, put a yard sign out front, give them staging advice and am considering helping them to host their open house. These all sound like things that a Realtor would do, but I'm not one. I wouldn't be involved in the actual sell or negotiation of the home and I would be paid a flat fee as opposed to a percentage of the sale. Are the service I'm offering crossing some legal line?

nextwife

How do you "List" the home if you are not a real estate professional? By "list" do you mean post on your web site? How do you co broke? By "host" their open house (and do you realize that most homes are not sold through an open house, but by an appointment in which the home is shown to a "qualified buyer" who is working with an agent?) what would you be doing there?

FlyingRon

Running advertisements for FSBOs (i.e., which is what I would call your site rather than listing) is OK.

As pointed out, doing other things that make you look like an agent, may run you afoul of licensing requirements.

I don't know what you mean by "helping them with their open houses" but I can tell you this is full of pitfalls. One of the biggest issues with open houses and other house showings is that the buyers don't want the seller there. If you are there instead, you would appear to be agenting the house.

If you mean you'll come in and clean up/stage the house, bake cookies, whatever and get out before the customers come, then you're more of a staging contractor and that would probably be OK.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">