• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

search and seixure

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lisa_lmh

i am on court (informal) probation in california for 2 years because of a vandalism charge from a year and a half ago. one requirement of my probation is search and seizure. i was pulled over for making an illegal right turn on a red light by the campus police of the university i attend while leaving school. i cooperated fully with the police by immediately pulling over and giving them valid id, registration, etc. after i signed the ticket they said that i had search and seizure and that they were going to search my car. they found a pipe, 3 tiny marijuana roaches, and a miniscule piece of hashish. they then arrested me for felony possession of hash. i know that because i am on probation i have search and seizure, but i need to know the limitations of this. they had absolutely no probable cause to believe i had done anything wrong but commit a traffic violation; i was completely sober, there was no visible evidence or smell of drugs, everything was legitimate and i cooperated fully, and i had just left a 12 hour day at the university they work for. i have done very well while i have been on probation and do not feel that i deserve a felony for this. i also feel that now the university police know what my car and i look like, and that they could harass me like this at any time. now i don't feel comfortable attending the university i pay for and worked so hard to get into. what, if anything, can i do about this????

calatty

The conditions of your probation probably specify that you may be searched without probable cause; they usually do. That is one of the restrictions on your freedom you agree to in return for not being incarcerated. Possession of less than an ounce of hashish is a misdemeanor and carrries a $500 fine (Health and Safet Code section 11357(a)), so I don't see why you were charged with felony possession. In any case, you might qualify for "diversion," a procedure whereby there will be no conviction at all. You need an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">