• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unpaid

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

H

heathcrist

I completed a large wallpapering job for a small local painting contractor in December. He has given me all kinds of excuses as to why he can't pay me. He gave me 1/4 of the bill a week ago. I told him I had to be paid in full by the end of the month or I was going to go to court. Can I garnish or attach an account and what is involved. The only lawyer I know is my divorce attourney and I don't want to call him until I know a little about what it might cost me. I have read about small claims but it seems like this Tom guy could still not end up paying me even if I take him to small claims. Help.

JETX

Send them a 'demand letter', certified RRR. Detail the work performed and the amount due. Demand payment within a reasonable period (5 working days from receipt??).

Then if they fail to pay, you will need to decide to either drop it, or pursue recovery in Small Claims court. And, yes, Tom could refuse to pay the judgment, in which case you start seizing a few of his assets (paint compressor, truck, ladders, computer with business records, etc.). Also, make sure you keep a copy of his check... you can levy his bank account.

H

heathcrist

First of all, thank you for responding so quickly and so informatively. I am sure you are busy and to take the time to provide this service is fantastic. I will be following the advise and hopefully receive compensation shortly.
Thank you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">