• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Noise Harrassment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

BridgetJones

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas. In 2007 I purchased my home. From time to time I had problem from my neighbors hitting their walls in their home and the common wall we share which resonated right into my home. It was no work being done to their home just intentional harassment so bad at times that while doing dishes at my sink directly across from their window I shakened by a hard shake and thud right under me. This has happened over 5 times. I chose to ignore the incident and try to pretend nothing happened. However, the neighbor still does continues with this behavior. In May 2009, a new neighbor moved in on the opposite side of my home and started this same type of behavior. I now have two neighbors hitting which resonates right into my home during day time and night time when we are trying to sleep. During the day while I am home at times they constantly keep this noise going. The police have been called several times just to have them stop as soon as the police arrive. Recently, I was able to record the noise during the day hours as well as sleeping hours. The noise last for more than 10 minutes at times. What can be done about this? Can these people be sued? I live in Texas.
Thank you.

FarmerJ

To sue them and win I suspect the amount of `proofs` you would have to gather may end up being overwhelming Personally If it was me I would look into sound proofing that can be done to deaden noise between units , the reason I suggest this is that when the time comes for you to sell it may be a selling point as well as possible lower util expenses due to a slight possible drop in heat /cooling loss thru the common walls. If there is any way to get a copy of the original building plans or talk to a city building inspector to learn what the code minimum for insulation/sound proofing material was at the time the place was built , this would at least give you information to go on while trying to figure out if you can sound proof it more. Your free to keep calling the police when noises get out of hand until you do speak to a atty but I really think your better off adding additional sound proofing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">