• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Damaged sprinker intake in common water way (FL)

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cowboy395487

I live in FL and was recently cutting down a tree that fell into a canal behind my house and landed on the PVC pipe that was part of my neighbors sprinkler intake that extends well into the canal.

No part of the tree landed on his actuall property it was about 10 feet into the water.

Who is responsible? I normally wouldn't even bother to not just fix it but neighbor is a total loon, who has repetedly screwed me and others.

TigerD

Who is responsible? I normally wouldn't even bother to not just fix it but neighbor is a total loon, who has repetedly screwed me and others.
And acting like him benefits you how?

C'mon, you're better than this. Fix the damage you caused.

DC

cowboy395487

And acting like him benefits you how?

C'mon, you're better than this. Fix the damage you caused.

DC
Slight satisfaction is how it benifits me.

Example 1 my lawn guy knocked a single slat from his fence and he called the police on him and made him pay a $225 estimate he got from a friend then fixed it himself.

Example 2 he had my car towed when I was sealing my driveway and needed to park in the street while it dried. (didn't even talk to me)

Example 3 Sued another neighbor when the neighbors visitor leaked oil on his driveway (with =out even talking to him.. just summons)

Example 4 Stole my pavers when my house was being built to use in his garden then denied it.

Many others... like videoing people driving on street between two set points so he could prove they were speeding then trying to get them speeding tickets. Got everyone a fine on first day of water restrictions. etc.

I even told him I would fix it if he swore he didn't lie to police and tell them he didn't know whose car it was, but he said he didn't have to swear to anything. (this was casual conversation)

besides he would have gotten a $1000 esimate to glue two pieces of PVC pipe together... it is just how he is.

OH yeah and called my autistic daughter a retard.

FarmerJ

SO the man is a less than pleasant person , One rubber slip over boot with radiator style clamps that comes in multiple sizes ,slip over one end , slip over other end , tighten screws , Cheap fix, can do it your self. Complaint about parked car in street , well I suppose it could have been set up so another nieghbor would have permitted use of driveway while it dried, watering ban violations well NO comment, video recording speak to a atty so you know more information about what can and cannot be recorded in outdoor areas. Verbal agression re your daughter, he is a *&%##*( (%@#* and nothing short of him having a family member of his own someday being diagnosed as DD /Mr /MI/ TBI will change his bad behaviour about her.

drewguy

The answer to your question is that you are responsible.

As for refusing responsibility because your neighbor is a jerk (or worse) is a moral question, not a legal one. You can stoop to his level on this, or bide your time for a better opportunity.

cowboy395487

Is it legal for the neighbor to have his sprinkler intake in the common waterway?
I'm pretty sure, it is very common in our development.

And thanks to everyone for the replys.

And by the way the he said he wouldnt let me just fix it but wanted a professional to fix it (LMAO its a cracked piece of 2" PVC)

I know morally I am responsible, but morally I should also use the money to send to Haiti relief fund instead. :)

I was just curious about the law.

and if someone is fishing and their anchor snags someones pipe are they responsible too?

FarmerJ

A two inch pvc pipe union boot is about 6 -7.00 in a hardware store , he can insist on a pro fixing it but there is no way this repair should cost more than 50.00 even if he had a handy man do it. It would take more time to go to a hardware and drive back than it would to actually fix it. You damaged it , he doesnt have to let you fix it but I would suggest sending him a letter via confirmed mail delivery offering to fix it your self and mention that the part to fix it is less than 10.00 if he wont let you offer him 50.00 if he refuses then make him take you to court. And if this canal is a public waterway search your state /city /county laws to see if he is violating any local or state law by drawing water from that source.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">