• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can civil fraud become criminal fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Chucktkd

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

I have a tennant and they were several months behind on paying me the gas, electric and water bills (which are in my name). In discussing the matter on December 12th she promised that she would have them paid soon and most likely by Christmas.

And yet she has still not paid anything on the bill and now I have caught her intentionally lying.

On January 4th she told me she hadn’t mailed the money because she hadn’t been out of the house. That is a lie in two regards. First, she has been out of the house as she was not there December 24th when I was there to do maintenance, she has been to work and every weekday takes her son to school. Second, this is the second time she has stated she will pay but has not and is every day is accumulating more debt to me. She is obviously lying in an attempt to get out of paying and by moving so far away it will be next to impossible to collect.

And now she has decided not to pay rent.

She is moving to South Carolina and is going to leave me with a large balance due and a dishonored rental contract set to expire in July. This is intention deceive on her part.

Can I charge her criminally with fraud as she is now intentionally lying?

Thank you.

Chuck

FlyingRon

Unfortunately, as far as Maryland law goes, lying and stringing you out do not fit into any of the categories of criminal fraud. If she had written a bad check or used a credit card you'd start getting in the right realm of things.

Further, it appears you haven't even started step one in any civil actions open to you. Do you know, even if you were to get her arrested, it means nothing as far as you getting any money.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">