• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Credit Card Theft

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

satiaw

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? This took place between Kentucky and Ohio. The credit card was taken and used in Kentucky to pay for utility and phone bill for a person in Ohio. The thief has been given the option of repaying this to me, I gave her the option. She wrote me a check, it bounced and then she paid me in cash. What are my options? Can I still press charges since she paid me back? If so what is the time limit?

KnownOne

Depends. Did you insinuate (on any level) that upon repayment you would not press charges? If so, this may be seen as extortion, which is a crime.

KnownOne

In addition, you can turn the thief in (file a police report). My previous post simply warns of the possible ramifications of doing such.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? This took place between Kentucky and Ohio. The credit card was taken and used in Kentucky to pay for utility and phone bill for a person in Ohio. The thief has been given the option of repaying this to me, I gave her the option. She wrote me a check, it bounced and then she paid me in cash. What are my options? Can I still press charges since she paid me back? If so what is the time limit?
The fact that she paid you back does not negate the fact that she stole the card in the first place, but if she has paid you back that might diminish the impact of your complaint. You're probably better off just taking your money and walking. I don't know what the SOL is.

At any rate, letting her know you were prepared to use whatever legal recourse you had to get your money back if she did not do so voluntarily is not extortion. Don't worry about that.

KnownOne

Charlotte is correct.

I should revise my initial response: it would not be extortion. Extortion would come into play, however, if you leverage the power of the police to obtain repayment above and beyond what was initially stolen (perhaps disregarding interest) - which you obviously didn't do here, so I apologize.

To you initial question, it is legal. Again, what will be gained by doing so? I suppose only you can decide if the thief might harm someone in the future, or if this was a one time thing.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">