• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

cosigner passed away...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ydonna1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wyoming
I am a co-signer on an auto loan with the father of my children. We were never married. There are 2 cars on the loan-one registered/titled to me/him/thebank and the other in just his/the banks name. We lived together and shared expenses for the first 3 1/2 years of payments, then seperated. He continued to make the payments for the next 8 months, before passing away unexpectedly without a will.. We did have the finance insurance, so the loan will be paid off. The credit union that holds the loan says that my car that is in my name will belong to me, but that the other will go into his estate (but they were not 100% sure, and will now not return my calls). (incidentally, He didn't make the last payment, so I made it and the loan is now up-to-date) Is this correct? Thanks from Wyoming

FlyingRon

If they aren't paid off and nobody pays the bank will repo them.

Cosigning doesn't convey ownership interest. The credit union is right, the one titled in your name goes to you, the other will be disbursed with his estate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">