• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Easement Issue

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Callie90

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia
I own 2 acres and a public road that is privately maintained by the 4 owners that use it gives us access to our homes. The owner of the land adjacent to the upper part of the drive wants to connect a road to it and use it as ingress/egress for his subdivision. He has not supplied a recorded easement and none can be found in the records at the court house. What can we do to stop him? Can we file an injunction against him without an attorney?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia
I own 2 acres and a public road that is privately maintained by the 4 owners that use it gives us access to our homes. The owner of the land adjacent to the upper part of the drive wants to connect a road to it and use it as ingress/egress for his subdivision. He has not supplied a recorded easement and none can be found in the records at the court house. What can we do to stop him? Can we file an injunction against him without an attorney?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Exactly why would he need an easement to connect to a PUBLIC road?

Callie90

The county called it a Public Road that is privately maintained because there are more than 3 houses on it. But they also put up a Dead End sign at the beginning of the road and a Private Drive sign. The county attorney, magistrate's office and sheriff's office will not or cannot give me an answer on whether someone is trespassing since we are all in agreement we do not want other people on the road (which is really a 10' wide gravel drive).

drewguy

I too would love to ban traffic the road I live on, and have it to myself.

But it's a public road so the public gets to use it.

Is it public? If so, why should he not be able to tie into it?

Is it private? Check your property records and determine whether the road is on your property or in state/county/town owned property or there is some recorded easement over it that is solely for the benefit of you and the adjacent property owners.

If it is a public road, then you can try to use the political process to force a different route.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">