• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Quitclaim deed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jbs1970

CA. I have a small properity that is in my name only. What is the best way to put ownership in mine and spouses name? This would be to ease things in the future in case I died. The county suggested quitclaim deed. Thanks

Last edited:

FlyingRon

Get the advice of a lawyer.

Putting someone on the deed isn't some sort of club or beneficiary arrangement. It is explicitly and irreversibly granting ownership to them.

Second if you decide to make that grant, in order to actually be useful in the case of your death or for other reasons (perhaps one of you is named in a lawsuit), it is very important to title that grant is worded and RECORDED in the right way.

For example, in California, you specifically want to make the grant to community property with right of survivorship. In addition,when filing the deed you need to accompany it with the appropriate documentation to make sure that you do not trigger transfer taxes and potential property tax reassessment.

Depending on what else is going on with your lives, some other vehicle such as a living trust may be a better idea.

jbs1970

FlyingRon; A little more info for you or others. I inherited the property about 6 years ago from an elderly cousin. It's in Southern California in the desert. Spouse and I have been married 40 years. According to the county assesment rolls, it is worth $2700. It has increased $2000. in value since I have had it. Would a Grant Deed be better than a Quitclaim deed? Or is it of so little value to go through these steps? Thanks

FlyingRon

There's not much difference in the actual manner of conveyance in this case. It's all pretty much boilerplate and you neither need to make nor be concerned about making any representations of ownership. As I said, the wording of the grantee and the proper filing of the deed and the related paperwork that assures it's a spousal transfer, is the key.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">