• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Food Stamp Fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

nextarter

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OH
I was receiving food stamps since October. My parents helped me pay rent and my utilities. I don't receive any unemployment since I got fired from my job. The welfare office said I committed fraud since I didn't report my parents helping me with the bills and paying for gas, clothing, and other essentials. I received about $1500 from my parents. Could I be prosecuted and charged with a felony and be put in jail or am I being too paranoid. They want a letter from my parents about how much they have gifted. Should I tell my parents to write such a letter or will this be used against me in a court of law.

Proserpina

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OH
I was receiving food stamps since October. My parents helped me pay rent and my utilities. I don't receive any unemployment since I got fired from my job. The welfare office said I committed fraud since I didn't report my parents helping me with the bills and paying for gas, clothing, and other essentials. I received about $1500 from my parents. Could I be prosecuted and charged with a felony and be put in jail or am I being too paranoid. They want a letter from my parents about how much they have gifted. Should I tell my parents to write such a letter or will this be used against me in a court of law.

technically, if you did receive the income and didn't report it, you may indeed be guilty of fraud.

Usually though they simply request that you repay the excess.

BL

Yes , you need to submit the letter .
They could include a note that neither of you thought it was wrong under the circumstances .

You'll most likely be noted as receiving too many benefits and they will be adjusted .

Did you tell them that you were receiving help ( eventually ) ?

If so ,that too can go in your favor .

Cheats don't admit it and get caught up with other ways .

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">