• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Signing away mineral rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sirchrisd

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Texas
My father was recently contacted about mineral rights he inherited from his grandfather. Just a couple of days after the title company found my father and told him they would send out information he was contacted again and was told he signed away rights 20 years ago. My father had no idea he had any such mineral rights nor does he recall ever signing anything like this away. He hasn't seen the family involved in the deal since 1987. We have reason to believe that my fathers half brother's wife produced the document. His brother died in 2004. My father never got along with his brother and the last time they saw each other was 6 weeks after their mother died. The deal would net about 45K for my parents which to them is practically a million. There are two things here: 1) my parents don't have money for a lawyer to dispute this. 2) there are other family members who could be counting on this money and that would hold them up. Any thoughts?

FarmerJ

If you can get a copy of what they claim he signed perhaps a good place to start is by contacting the police and swearing out a forgery complaint???? Beside finding the resources to speak with a atty.

Sirchrisd

Sorry, I forgot to mention they are sending him a copy of the document. Is it a diffcult task to contest it? Is it even worth it? With the total being 45K, what would I be looking at for attorney fees if this were to drag on? I guess my concern is would he spend more than the amount he would get?

FarmerJ

Once that copy arrives If he really feels it is not his signature go see the police in person , try to get them to file a report , Honestly if he really didnt sign it theres no harm in getting it reported once the forgery is reported find out what happens next from the police and let them work on it. If the police do the report a city /county atty office can tell you alot more of what happens after a report is filed and investigated. All citizens are entitled to Information about how crimes are investigated, so ASK! also when the time comes if the services of a atty are needed to overturn the transfer of those rights or to get a hold on any activity until the matter is settled then look for a atty . Many attys do work on a percentage basis. ASK , the worst you can find out is that the first atty you see wont represent him for a percentage. So then he can consult with another.

Sirchrisd

Thanks, I am going to call them in the morning and see if they can expedite the document. I appreciate the information.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">