• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

part time vs full time workers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

STP-H8N

I live in the state of missouri. At my job they are having problems....(to long to get into)...anyway...there were just making full time employees do overtime...which they got paid time and 1/2 for....but now they are making part-time employees do mandatory hours....my question is do part time employees have to do mandatory hours? could you please tell me where you found your answer?

B

buddy2bear

You will have to read through your State's wage and hour laws. Sometimes if part-timers work x number of 40 hour or more weeks in a year (I seem to remember there is a "magic" number but not what it is off-hand), they would automatically be considered full-time with all that that entails.

As for mandatory "overtime," it is perfectly okay so long as no laws are broken, i.e., overtime pay after 40 OR 8/hr in a day, depending on your State's laws, and safety is not involved.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">