• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Grandma's check

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Parenting101

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

My neighbor's son received a check for christmas from his grandmother. She did not sign it and he assumed that she just forgot to, so he signed her name and cashed it. Now she calls him saying she purposely did not sign it just so he would call her to talk to her and she is accusing him of forging her name, threatening to call the police, etc. etc. A bad family situation, but does anyone know if this could actually be considered forgery and the kid (21 years old) be in trouble?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

My neighbor's son received a check for christmas from his grandmother. She did not sign it and he assumed that she just forgot to, so he signed her name and cashed it. Now she calls him saying she purposely did not sign it just so he would call her to talk to her and she is accusing him of forging her name, threatening to call the police, etc. etc. A bad family situation, but does anyone know if this could actually be considered forgery and the kid (21 years old) be in trouble?
He did exactly that - forged his grandmother's signature. If granny involves the police, he should speak to an attorney.

justalayman

. A bad family situation, but does anyone know if this could actually be considered forgery and the kid (21 years old) be in trouble?
Oh ya. He is in a lot of trouble if g-ma pushes the issue. He did nothing less than forge her signature.

I suggest he get the money together and offer to spend it all on g-ma like taking her to dinner and whatever. The point was for g-son to have contact with g-ma so maybe a LOT of butt kissing might allow him to assuage g-ma's anger.

Parenting101

Sounds about what I thought too. The grandmother doesn't know he signed it, only suspects. Kissing up might work, but the tension appears too high for that to happen right now.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Sounds about what I thought too. The grandmother doesn't know he signed it, only suspects. Kissing up might work, but the tension appears too high for that to happen right now.
Oh please...g'ma knows. Why else would she call HIM and accuse HIM?

She wasn't born yesterday ;)

justalayman

Hold it. what about this:

Now she calls him saying she purposely did not sign it just so he would call her to talk to her and she is accusing him of forging her name
I think the cat is already out of the bag. Unless g-son said "what check g-ma?. I never got a check", it is presumed he did get the check and that leads to g-son forging the check.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">