• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

power lines across yard and how to get moved

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

gingue1998

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I live in Ny(Nassau County) and would like to install an above ground pool. However, I have been told that any power lines need to be 10 feet horizontally away from the pool. I have a power line cutting across the midddle of the yard with a pole actually in my yard so I cannot legally install a pool. I have read that the power company can charge you to actually move a line. That seems very unfair especially because this line does not bring power to my house, it goes directly into the NY state park that runs behind my house. My question is if anyone thinks it is possible to fight this sucessfully when LIPA tells me they are going to charge me to move the line. They are coming to a site survey and from what I have read I am guessing they are going to tell me I must pay for any work. Now, since I have small children, as does the rest of my block, I want to demand they move this line into the park for not only me but my neighbors as well. Even if I do not get a pool it seems dangerous and stupid as well to have a pole in my yard supportimg power to the park. I'd appreciate any comments or advice. Thanks!

justalayman

I presume they have an easement that allows the pole to be where it is. As such, they have the right to have the pole right where it is. If you want it someplace else, of course you would be liable for the costs. It is for your benefit, not theirs.

so, the first thing to do is research any easement or right of way the power company has to determine if they have the right, without further argument, to have the pole where it is.
If there is not easement or ROW, there might (and I say that with a lot of reservation) be a way to force them to move it.

nextwife

When I bought my house, I paid the utility to have all my lines moved and brought in underground. Contact them and see about relocating the easement and the lines.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">