• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lease to own contract

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

evokiller845

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? N.Y.
My wife and I signed a one year lease with option to buy contract on a new home.
We went through a local realtor and the property owner had the contract drawn up by his attorney. We dished out around $6,000 before we moved in for the option fees and security deposit

Now here's the first issue , after the contract was signed (and checks were cashed), we found out from the listing agent that the home did not have a certificate of occupancy....the home was never finished

Now the main problem , around a month ago i had an issue with the property lines , so i went to get the property records at the county office and low and behold the person i am under contract to by the house from doesn't even own it. He sold it to someone else (i think its a relative) to get out of a tax debt.
I also found out the house was sold before we signed the contracts. I talked to the original person I am under contract with about this and he still thinks he owns the property

I am thinking that this is leaning towards fraud

The thing I am wondering is if I can go after the person I am under contract with , and try to get my money back
Also can I go after the realtor to get the realty fee back because the didn't do their research on the ownership and the c of o issue

evokiller845

It shows a different name and address to whom we are under contract with

The person we are under contract with sold the land and property for $50,000 to the current owner that we aren't under contract with

I also did research on the current taxes. the person i'm under contract with is not listed on that either

nextwife

If your title report showed a different person in title than the party with whom you were contracting, WHY did you close and give them a deposit?

evokiller845

I didn't purchase the home , I am currently under the lease with option contract

As far as the deposit , i gave the checks to my realtor to give to the owner

Correct me if i'm wrong , but aren't realtors supposed to verify ownership and certificate of occupancy on homes , especially on new contstruction

Basically to sum it up , I am under contract to buy a home from a person who legally has no rights to it. He sold the home and property in Jan 2008

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">