• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question Regarding Harrasment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

michael60181

Illinois - Cook County

I have been repairing xbox's to help supplement what little income I have coming in. A little over a month ago I had a client come in for a repair. I repaired his xbox, showed him it was working, he purchased a warranty and I sent him on his way.

Now my warranty clearly states that it only covers my time and the cost of any additional replacement parts for unlimited attempts to repair for a year.

So the guy calls a three weeks later and says that it had stopped working again after a week. I asked him when he'd like to bring it in so I could take a look at it. He very angrily said he shouldn't even have to bring it in because it takes him time to get there so "it better work this time". I responded by telling him I would do my level best. He said that wasn't good enough and if I wasn't able to fix it quickly he would be getting a refund since I wasn't honoring my warranty. I told him to re-read his warranty. I would keep attempting to repair his console until doomsday, but I could not offer him a refund. I again asked when he could bring his console in.

He proceeded to yell at me for a good five minutes including telling me in a threatening manner that he would have his refund one way or another if the outcome for his unit did not go his way. At which point I told him if he didn't speak to me in a civil tone I would be hanging up. He didn't and I did. I immediately e-mailed him telling him that he should feel free to e-mail me back to make an appointment but I would not speak to him on the phone until he calmed down, but instead he decided to call my cell an addition 13 times. Following that he tracked down my mothers home number and proceeded to verbally assault her.

I then e-mailed him to let him know that due to his behavior our business relationship was at an end. I also made it very clear that any further attempts at communication would go unanswered. I also stated that he was not to attempt to contact my family again.

About a week later he once again attempted to contact my mother. She saw the number on the caller ID and didn't answer it but it was very early in the morning and it disturbed her sleep.

I called him and was very clear that this was bordering on harassment. I told him if he had a legal grievance that he should take me to small claims court, but if he attempted to contact myself or my family again I would take legal action on my part.

So after several quiet weeks he e-mailed me again this morning saying that he was not going to stop contacting me and that I should expect this behavior to continue.

He followed this up with a phone call at eight this morning waking me from my sleep. He left another message. He immediately proceeded to call my mother again three times also waking her from her sleep.

So my question is, should I feel safe filing a police report and then going for an injunction against harassment?

If I do this I want to feel reasonably sure I have a case and also that my business being under the table won't come back to bite me later.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">