• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

ok to just leave???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bobo60

NC

i bought a house with my girl friend alittle over 5 yrs ago. both out names are on the deed and mortgage. we split the cost of the monthly mortage evenly. we help each other with the bills. i am thinking about leaving. am i bound, legally, to still have any obligations, as far as the mortage payments are concerned?

thank you,

bob

nextwife

YES!!!!

You are equally responsible to make certain the payments are made and the property is "protected from loss" by not allowing waste to occur to it. Your relationship with your lender is unaffected by how much you do or don't wish to live with the person you chose to be your coborrower. Either have her refinance you off the loan or sell and payoff the mortgage. As long as your name is still on that mortgage, you absolutely still have a responsibility regarding that mortgage.

Last edited:

JETX

am i bound, legally, to still have any obligations, as far as the mortage payments are concerned?
As correctly noted, your MORTGAGE obligation continues. Also, any "I will pay" or "we will split" agreements you have with your 'roommate' will continue also. If you stop paying ANY of those and your 'STBX' gets stuck with them, he/she can sue you for damages (the amount of YOUR obligation that they have to pay for you).

bobo60

thanks for the info.

i figured i would still be responsible for paying on the mortage, as long as my name remained on the mortgage. if push comes to shove, and i decide to move, i will take the proper legal steps, to remove my name from the mortage. if she can make the payments, then she can have it. thats all i would expect.

bob

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">