• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Shoplifting as a selfdefense

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TAnna H

I am an indigent, diabetic. I was caught shoplifting food, and only food. When they took me back to the office, I was shaking, sick to my stomach, and dizzy. Yes, i know these could be signs of being scared as well.

Two weeks ago, I was diagnosed as a diabetic. My diabetic supplies are being for by a free clinic that i can see once a week. I do not have groceries or money. A church is paying my rent, but they are not helping me with food. I stay in a hotel. When I insisted they test my Blood glucose, and call an ambulance, they did. The fire department showed up, gave me glucose paste, before testing my sugar. When it was finally tested, my glucose was at 83, after sucking down about 20 mg of the glucose paste. I was transported to the hospital, another bill I can not afford, and there they got my glucose up, and sent me home with some food. After making certain I had a tray.

My point being is I wasn't lying about my sugar, and all I wanted was something to eat. Can I use this in my defense? Is there any presidence for this?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
You are not allowed to shoplift because you want food or are diabetic. Sorry but that is not a defense. Why haven't you gotten a job? Signed up for food stamps? On the bright side -- if you go to jail, you will be given FREE food.

Your defense attorney may try a necessity defense, but it is more likely it would be considered as part of a plea agreement.

I love my sig.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">