• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I reject a Sex Offender who applies to rent my house?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? va

If I found out through a legal background check that an applicant who is interested in renting my home is a sex offender can I reject/deny his/her application without any legal consequences? Is there any kind of law that considers that to be some kind of "descrimination"?

Thanks.

Badbrains

Yes, you can reject them. People who commit crimes are not a protected class and have no protection under fair housing laws, this includes sex offenders.

I would strongly encourage you to place language in your application that says you will not accept misdemeanors due to bodily injury, drug related offenses, etc, but may accept if it is over 5 years since charged/convicted. You should also state that no felony's are accepted and will be automatically declined at any time if you choose.

This way you give some guidelines as to what you will or will not accept for condition of residency.

swalsh411

Have you considered the nature of the sex offense? People have been put on that list for pissing in a bush at 2 AM after the bars close. Unless you have other potential renters lined up of course....

CraigFL

You should also verify that it is legal in your area to rent to this person. Most places have restrictions as to how close these offenders can live from schools, daycares, playgrounds, etc. This may be the limiting factor.

Badbrains

I would strongly encourage you to run any language past a lawyer before placing it in your application.
Agreed 100%

Naturally, it would be wise of any poster to consult a lawyer before doing any legal contracts, applications, etc. I would hope no one would just assume advice on this forum as pure fact with out legal assistance locally, as every response is just that, 'free advice'.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">