• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Acting as my own Lawer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

Jerry Beck

Thank you for this forum to ask my question,

Question,Do I have a absolute right to represent my self in a jury trial? I lost my first case in small claims court,I feel something was not right, so I am appealling to the next court and I want a jury trial, the clerk of the court said I HAD to have a lawyer since I want a jury. I say I have a right to be my own lawyer. I live in Talladega Alabama

Thank you Jerry Beck

[Edited by Jerry Beck on 03-30-2001 at 08:05 PM]

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

Jerry Beck said:
Thank you for this forum to ask my question,

Question,Do I have a absolute right to represent my self in a jury trial? I lost my first case in small claims court,I feel something was not right, so I am appealling to the next court and I want a jury trial, the clerk of the court said I HAD to have a lawyer since I want a jury. I say I have a right to be my own lawyer. I live in Talladega Alabama

Thank you Jerry Beck

[Edited by Jerry Beck on 03-30-2001 at 08:05 PM]
My response:

Well, you know the old saying, "If you represent yourself, yadda, yadda, yadda."

The clerk, while good intentioned, is wrong. As long as you are familiar with the Rules of the Court, can put together a trial brief, you know the Rules of Evidence, and know which Jury Instructions to submit to the judge and opposing counsel, then of course you can represent yourself.

I wouldn't if I were in your position.

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">