• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

POA Forgery law?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kclizard

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Nebraska
Can you get convicted of forgery if you was that persons POA?

My attorney, who I assume has my power of attorney, always signs her own name in legal documents, under the designation "Attorney for THEDOCTORISIN".

If my attorney were to take a blank check and sign my name to it, I would certainly hope that would be a crime!

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
My attorney, who I assume has my power of attorney, always signs her own name in legal documents, under the designation "Attorney for THEDOCTORISIN".

If my attorney were to take a blank check and sign my name to it, I would certainly hope that would be a crime!
You are wrong. Your attorney does NOT have your power of attorney except in order to represent you in court.

You are wrong. Your attorney does NOT have your power of attorney except in order to represent you in court.
But I am talking about when she is representing me in court, e.g., filing court motions.

My point is that she never signs MY name; she always signs her name, and states that she is acting as my attorney.

Another example is when I cashed checks made out to my minor daughter. I never signed her name. Instead, I signed my name, and appended "father of DOCTORDAUGHTER".

I don't know of any circumstance where it is legitimate for one person to sign something by actually using the other person's name in the signature.

kclizard

oops POA

I didn't have to sign her checks she had them signed already. But when I paid the bank back the Lawyer told me to sign her name and then sign my name.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Yeah - the Feds don't like it when people commit fraud against them...

FlyingRon

I closed on a house once with a POA for my wife. In addition to signing my own name a zillion times, I got to sign "Mrs. FlyingRon by FlyingRon her attorney in fact" a zillion times.

kclizard

Poa

I know I messed up! I just wanted to know what I am looking at? I have never been in trouble with the law, I am 41 I paid it all back a Mother of 5 most always had a job. I just was trying to find out if I am going to go to jail or what?

kclizard

Does anyone know the law in Nebraska about forgery? Am I going to be hung? I just need to know so I can find someone to take care of my babies.

Indiana Filer

I closed on a house once with a POA for my wife. In addition to signing my own name a zillion times, I got to sign "Mrs. FlyingRon by FlyingRon her attorney in fact" a zillion times.
I went through that when we (well, me, since husband wasn't there) bought our current house. I told him he gets to do the paperwork for any future houses. I think it took a week to get the feeling back into my hand.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
I didn't have to sign her checks she had them signed already. But when I paid the bank back the Lawyer told me to sign her name and then sign my name.
You were NO LONGER your mother's POA. She died. The POA ended at her death. You committed many crimes.

JETX

I was my Mother POA and after she passed away in January 2009 I noticed some money in my Moms account in march, so I used it for her memorial and things.
Then you VIOLATED the Power of Attorney!!!

Any POA granted by another is VOID on the death of the grantor.

kclizard

I am not justifying,just trying to figure out how much trouble I am in.I did pay it back real fast,also her money in her account if it was left over or sent to her account from life insurance or other places would go to her memorial and then family?

Indiana Filer

I am not justifying,just trying to figure out how much trouble I am in.I did pay it back real fast,also her money in her account if it was left over or sent to her account from life insurance or other places would go to her memorial and then family?
Nope. Someone (and it ought not to be you) needs to file in probate court to handle the disposition of these assets and payment of any debts.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">