• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Getting my gun privileges restored...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Frogman04

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I'm almost done with my Domestic Violence Recovery Program (DVRP) classes and will be seeing the judge for the first time in almost a year. By the way, I was charged with simple battery (PC243(A)). Also my rights to bear arms have been taken away because of it.

Now because I work for the government, my job deals with having to work with firearms. The judge wrote on my minutes form that I can use firearms only while at work, but the government sees it differently and for the last year I have been placed in a probationary status until all my court issues are complete.

So my question is, when I go to see the judge can I respectfully request that she restore my gun privileges so that i can continue on with my profession that I've been at for now for 15 years? I plan on getting the ex-pungent process underway after my dealings with the court, but I've been told because you expunge it doesn't guarantee you will get your gun rights back. Also is this true?

What must I do to get my rights back in regards to firearms?

Also, I have no prior convictions nor have I had any dealings with the law. This was my first and last confrontation with the law. Thanks and I hope someone will be able to provide me with some worthy information.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

swalsh411

You've lost your firearm rights for 10 years per CA law and the Judge can't change that. If you get it expunged at some point the order must specifically restore your firearm rights.

Frogman04

so, even if i was not charged for a domestic violence crime this still can stick? what's the likelihood that expungment will restore my gun rights?

CdwJava

243(a) is simple battery.
243(e) is domestic violence.

Big difference in effect of conviction.
But, being that he is in a batterer's program, there appears to be a DV component here and that seems to be the issue. I do not recall ever seeing a conviction pursuant to 243(a), only pursuant to 242 for simple battery. I am wondering if he might be confusing a police report reference to 243(a) and not the formal charges or the conviction.

Frogman04

Thanks for all the info guys! Now, looking at my court documents it says, under charge(s) 'PC243(A)'. that's it. This is the reason I had questions concerning the matter.

Also one more question....the incident occurred over two years now and I've been charged with this just over one year. Now can I personally request a reduction/ termination, in my three year probation, from the judge at my very last court date?

Again, thanks!

Last edited:

HomeGuru

Thanks for all the info guys! Now, looking at my court documents it says, under charge(s) 'PC243(A)'. that's it. This is the reason I had questions concerning the matter.

Also one more question....the incident occurred over two years now and I've been charged with this just over one year. Now can I personally request a reduction/ termination, in my three year probation, from the judge at my very last court date?

Again, thanks!
**A: where was/is your attorney? You should have one.

CdwJava

Again, thanks!
CA Penal Code section 12021(c)(1) indicates that a person convicted of 243 will have a 10 year prohibition from owning or possessing a firearm.

It would be best to have your attorney address the probation question, but you can ASK the court most anything ... not sure they will grant it, but you might be given a chance to ask.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">