• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Question about criminal law?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

johnnywal

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

One of my neighbohrs broke into my car and stole a laptop, i found out who it was, we worked it out, he told me he will only give it back to me if i will sign a release form stating i wont press charges against him. Where do i get a form like this? I don't want to go to an attorney because it will cost me more than the laptop itself. And if i go to the court house to get the form i will have to wait in line. Does anyone know where i can get a pdf form of this for FREE, especially after he had the nerve to break into my car and steal that! It will break my heart to press charges against this person. Because he is metnally ill, his brother died two weeks ago in a car crashed, he is disturbed and very depressed, i know him very well he lives two houses down from me. SO I AM NOT CALLING THE COPS!!!!!

Banned_Princess

There is no "form" for that kind of thing, just sign a note to him saying whatever, and go get your computer back (lucky you)

You can have it notarized if you want, and don't keep valuables in your car anymore.

JETX

Where do i get a form like this?
No such 'standard' document. You will have to write one yourself. Then, after signing it, report the SOB to the police anyway. Your signature on that document would NOT waive your right to report criminal activity.

CdwJava

One of my neighbohrs broke into my car and stole a laptop, i found out who it was, we worked it out, he told me he will only give it back to me if i will sign a release form stating i wont press charges against him.
That's audacious! :eek:

I'd call the cops. Then, you go meet with him, record his admission, and when he returns the laptop, you wave for the nearby cops to come in and hook him up.

Where do i get a form like this?
There IS NO SUCH FORM!!! The state does not produce a form to be used by extortionists.

Because he is metnally ill, his brother died two weeks ago in a car crashed, he is disturbed and very depressed, i know him very well he lives two houses down from me. SO I AM NOT CALLING THE COPS!!!!!
Then don't call the cops. If you want to make this deal, then you write a note that says you won't call the cops, you sign it, and give it to him.

It has no legal status at all under the circumstances, but if it compels him to give back your property, then do it if you wish.

Of course, now he knows he has a soft target in you ... keep that in mind.

Isis1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

One of my neighbohrs broke into my car and stole a laptop, i found out who it was, we worked it out, he told me he will only give it back to me if i will sign a release form stating i wont press charges against him. Where do i get a form like this? I don't want to go to an attorney because it will cost me more than the laptop itself. And if i go to the court house to get the form i will have to wait in line. Does anyone know where i can get a pdf form of this for FREE, especially after he had the nerve to break into my car and steal that! It will break my heart to press charges against this person. Because he is metnally ill, his brother died two weeks ago in a car crashed, he is disturbed and very depressed, i know him very well he lives two houses down from me. SO I AM NOT CALLING THE COPS!!!!!
you won't find a form like this, because it does not exist. you can simply type up a form all on your own.

oh for the love of pete, Carl, Jet AND BP beat me to it.

Last edited:

Mass_Shyster

You will not find this agreement online because it doesn't exist. You cannot have an enforceable contract agreeing to do something in exchange for someone else agreeing to do what they are already required to do.

You can write up any fancy words you like, sign it, and give it to him. When you collect your laptop, you can go ahead and call the police. There is nothing he can to about it, as the contract is not binding.

divona2000

After you retrieve your property, you really need to talk with the police about this. You may feel sorry for him because he has problems, but your neighbor may be breaking into other vehicles/homes, and he could end up getting hurt by an irate owner.

johnnywal

Form

I remember a couple of years ago there was an incident about a guy that killed someone, and he confessed it to one of his friends. A few months later 'that' friend was arrested for a drug charge, and he told the cops that he has information about an unsolved murder (the one his friend committed), and he will only divulge that information in exhange that they don't prosecute him for the drugs. And thats what happened in the end, he sold out his friend who committed the murder, and the cops dropped the drug charge. So what was that about? He got a plea agreement.

CdwJava

A plea deal allowing a small fish to give up a big fish is not the same as producing a form that grants legitimacy to extortion. You are comparing oranges to road apples.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">