• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

HOA fees and foreclosure

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

katmaguire

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
Can a HOA foreclose on a house for non-payment of dues? My son bought a house outright with inheritence from his father's death. He lost his job shortly after. He finally got a job, but was involved in a sertous accident in the company truck. he is now on work comp & has not been given the OK to return to work yet. He has custody of his daughter & has a child on the way and just received a summons that a lawsuit has been filed by the HOA to collect fees in the amount of $3000.00. He cannot afford an attorney and has 20 days to respond. Do you have any advice? can the HOA foreclose on his home?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida
Can a HOA foreclose on a house for non-payment of dues? My son bought a house outright with inheritence from his father's death. He lost his job shortly after. He finally got a job, but was involved in a sertous accident in the company truck. he is now on work comp & has not been given the OK to return to work yet. He has custody of his daughter & has a child on the way and just received a summons that a lawsuit has been filed by the HOA to collect fees in the amount of $3000.00. He cannot afford an attorney and has 20 days to respond. Do you have any advice? can the HOA foreclose on his home?
Maybe you could loan your son $3k?

Some Random Guy

can the HOA foreclose on his home?
Probably yes. read the HOA bylaws for more details.

If he owns the home outright, then perhaps he should get a home equity loan to pay off the $3000 asap. Had he been in contact with the HOA before the filing of the suit to try to work out payment plan?

katmaguire

I would love to loan him the 3K, but I work in social services and do not have it! No, unfortunately he chose to ignore the problem until it was this big. I don't know if he can get a home equity loan without a job, but we could try. Thanks. Can they foreclose?

Some Random Guy

Can they foreclose?
Probably yes. read the HOA bylaws for more details.
It happens all of the time. Houses worth over $300K get foreclosed on because of $1000 in unpaid HOA dues. But we cannot say for sure unless an attorney looks at the HOA documents and determines whether they have that right.

But as a hint, the HOA already has a lawyer and is already starting foreclosure proceedings. That should be your clue that its time to get the $3K and beg them to drop the suit.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">