• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

debris on property

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stormnjh

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan

Prior to submitting an offer to purchase property from the state DNR, I visited the site. I noted that the neighbor had placed garbage (broken cars, mobile home, etc.) on the property. After speaking with him, I found out that the property had belonged to his father and had been claimed by the state for non-payment of taxes over 40 years ago. After deeming the property as not beneficial to the state, the DNR put it up for sale. I plan on having a land survey to determine boundary. What recourse do I have should the neighbor not clean up the debris? Can I claim the items that are on the property? What, if after forty years, I find that he built a structure on my property? Do I get to keep that structure? Thanks.

FarmerJ

Wait till your survey is done, BUT the same day its (get from hardware store copper grounding rods) cut the rods into two foot long pieces and as long as there is no electric wires or shallow utility lines of any kind beat them in with in 6 inches to your side of the property line so they can be found later on by a metal detector. Once you know where the lot lines are then your better able to address your other questions. Sad to say I would imagine with out proof of who dumped on the property cleaning it up will be your burden , If you find a structure partially or fully on this property like say a shed/ garage, talk to a atty about doing a letter to permit the shed / garage to stay until it is either destroyed by weather fire or any occurance that requires rebuilding /remodeling or major repair. A atty can also talk to you about the cost of forcing the other party to move it and what rights the other party may have to claim a easement if any , I am curious though since so no one can adversely possess govt land if the DNR as a state agency was ever required to survey that parcel and if they have a record of it that you can get.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">