• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Tennessee probate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

secondbase1380

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? TN
My father recently passed away, without a will. He and other family members were in the process of selling land in Mississippi. The parcel of land being sold (approx 120acres) was still in my great-great grandmothers name. There were approx. 13 heirs, 12 of which reside in Mississippi and my father who lived in Tennessee. My question is, will his portion go to my mother and I without entering into probate? His estate was/is insolvent and there were no other properties to be left to my mother and I.
Thanks in advance for any help!

Badbrains

Surviorship may come first, so your mother may become the automatic servant of the land, you as a second dependant of the land, possibly, but mom would likely come first for assumed ownership of the land. Due to your claim there are 13 heirs to the land it could be hard to avoid probate and probate fees. They all may still be entitled to some ownership of the land, if they contest.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">