• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I sue my roommate for past rent due?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Allya86

Washington

I need to move and my roommate refused the option of finding someone to sublet. Instead, she has decided to move out as well and we haven't been able to find subletters for both rooms. Unknown to me until now since we pay with seperate checks she owes 2 monthes rent that the landlords have let her fall behind withou any penalty. When I went to turn in our notice, the office let me know that if she doesn't pay the balance by a certain date then both our names will be sent to collections. She has already used the money she had to pay off the balance to pay for a deposit on a new apartment. She holds me responsible for her havng to move, even though she refused to even consider a subletter for my half.

I understand that I am legally bound to the amount owed since we are both on the contract. The landlord does have documentation that I have paid my rent every month and she has not. The landlord did suggest that I have her sign a document aggreeing to release me from responsabilty for the money on the account owed. If she refuses to take responsability for the balance she owes, can I sue her for the money I would have to pay?

Last edited:

HomeGuru

Washington

I need to move and my roommate refused the option of finding someone to sublet. Instead, she has decided to move out as well and we haven't been able to find subletters for both rooms. Unknown to me until now since we pay with seperate checks she owes 2 monthes rent that the landlords have let her fall behind withou any penalty. When I went to turn in our notice, the office let me know that if she doesn't pay the balance by a certain date then both our names will be sent to collections. She has already used the money she had to pay off the balance to pay for a deposit on a new apartment. She holds me responsible for her havng to move, even though she refused to even consider a subletter for my half.

I understand that I am legally bound to the amount owed since we are both on the contract. The landlord does have documentation that I have paid my rent every month and she has not. The landlord did suggest that I have her sign a document aggreeing to release me from responsabilty for the money on the account owed. If she refuses to take responsability for the balance she owes, can I sue her for the money I would have to pay?
**A: of course you can sue.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">