• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can these items be taken?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

DLG1966

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I was wondering if items that are part of an estate can be removed from a house that belongs to someone else?
The "wife" of my late father is staking monetary claims against the items which are located in a house left to us three children by my father. The "wife" has no interest in the items themselves. The items are of tremendous sentiment to us children. The house is also up for sale at the moment.

anteater

You already received an answer to this.

If the items belonged to your father, they are part of his estate. And his surviving spouse is going to be entitled to a portion of the estate. And, as you told us, your sister received appointment from the PA court as the estate's personal representative. It is her duty to safeguard the assets of the estate. If that means storing them in a secure location, then that is what it means.

And, if you guys start diddling with things, I hope the surviving spouse cleans your clocks.

Last edited:

DLG1966

Listen, i was just asking a question for crying out loud. I am asking here because I have no intention of stealing or cheating anyone out of anything. No one is "diddling" with anything as you so put it. There are certain items in the household that should not be left in a vacant house Get it? The "wife" does not want the items - she wants the money. I don't appreciate the tone you use in your answer. Have a gorgeous day sunshine!

Last edited:

DLG1966

Who peed in your Cheerios today?
I would prefer you not to comment on a situation you know nothing about on the interior. By the way, are you HER lawyer??
You don't know the half of what she has done and how she planned things. She DID commit forgery (which we are pressing charges against her for) and she herself went into that house without permission from us and has removed many things from the home. She removed his guns, some furniture, his jewelry box, some items my father inherited when his father passed, gold bars, extremely old silver dollars that my mother was given by her grandmother, many, many things. One thing she stole was my father's lock box with all his papers in it - including the will. She was there in the lawyer's office when my father wrote his will. She claimed "What will?" and proceeded to act as if there wasn't a will. She almost died when the lawyer had another original copy. She is demanding that the funeral cost not be paid out of the estate. She purposely kept the fact that she was marrying my dad that way from us. All morning she was calling us every hour asking where we were and how long before we arrive. We spoke to her at 12:00 on the phone. She shut the phone off and she married him at 12:40. Her minister friend married them - she had a three hour drive to get to the hospital to perform the ceremony. Don't you find it odd that there was no mention of getting married in a few minutes? You don't hear the things she says to us. You don't know a damn thing about anything else but the question I asked. I hope you don't assume things in court as well. Maybe you aren't a real lawyer... or not a very good one according to your attitude when asked for advice. Maybe some day someone will hope someone cleans YOUR clock for asking a question. I hope they do.
And you know what else? There is an investigation into his death as well. He was at that same hospital the day before and we were urged to further investigate a suspicious situation surrounding his death (according to the doctors - I would rather not speak of it here until it is investigated).
Put yourself in my shoes. What would you do? How would you feel? She has done whatever she wanted through this whole thing. If the contents of the house are estate property, then she should not have entered that house without permission and remove anything. You are so fast to call me a thief and I haven't done anything.
I came on to this message board to seek answers to what I did not know. I did not know that my Mother's tea set belonged to this person. So I asked. Now that there have been many break ins around his home, we are worried that can easily happen to a vacant house.
So Mr. I know the WHOLE STORY from one paragraph, I urge you to move on and try to help someone. Not take shots at someone who is going through hell and seeking answers to the things I do not know for sure and I am really trying to see that everything goes according to law.

Last edited:

justalayman

if she lived in the house, she has a right to enter the house if nothing else, as a tenant. If you believe she stole something, call the police and report it.

DLG1966

Thank you for your sensible reply. We are composing a list of the items that were removed from the house. We will submit it to our lawyer when it is completed.
I didn't think it was right (in the sense of the law) that she could remove items and we can't.

justalayman

as anteater told you, the executor does have the right to remove property. It is the executor/executrix's responsibility to safeguard the property. If that means moving it to a safe place, then that is what it is.

Of course the woman would have the right to remove any of her personal property though.

DLG1966

I agree that she is entitled to remove her things, but the other stuff should be part of the estate and should be put back into it.
We would feel better if the items were secured in a storage unit. This way there are no questions as to the whereabouts and no one has access to it other than the executrix. We didn't want to do anything we weren't supposed to do and I thought to pose the question on this board to maybe get some ideas and opinions from professional lawyers and people who may have had a similar situation. Maybe they had some fresh ideas. I thought it was a good idea to get opinions from people on the outside instead of constantly hearing from the people who are so deeply involved.

anteater

So Mr. I know the WHOLE STORY from one paragraph, I urge you to move on and try to help someone. Not take shots at someone who is going through hell and seeking answers to the things I do not know for sure and I am really trying to see that everything goes according to law.
And I repeat what I said in my first reply to this thread:

You already received an answer to this.
Which was:
Even though there is litigation, if your sister was appointed as executrix by a PA court, I would say that it is her duty to make certain that the contents that belonged to your father are secured and do not leave the house.
Since you now indicate that the house is not a secure location, I will amend that to read "...do not leave a secure location."

And there is no "we" or "us" in this. Your sister has been appointed as the estate's personal representative by a PA court. It is her duty, not your's or your other siblings.

DLG1966

As everyone can see, your answer is no answer. You use my own quotes as your reply. Just adding your own words such as and, so, in between my quotes does not really count as you actually giving an answer. Are you out of work and trying to brush up on your word twisting skills before you apply for a job at the National Enquirer? Page Six? They use strategies like the ones you are using. One difference. You are not good at it at all. I just hope you never seek employment at a hospital or nursing home. I can see you trying to convince the parents of the child who has cancer that they did this to the child. Another line of work you wouldn't be good at.....

Why did you attempt to answer my question when you do not know the answer to begin with? By the way, in case you haven't received my hints I will spell it out for you. I am seeking replies from people with actual knowledge about my situation. You are not a reliable source in which to receive answers from let alone actually take advice from, and therefore ask you please stop posting your ridiculous replies.

And by the way, there is plenty of "we" and "us" in this. We operate as a family - something it seems you know nothing about. Is it because they alienated you for obvious reasons? Or do you not have any siblings and have no clue how things should work within a close family?

Again, please use your energy to try to actually help someone rather than launch these petty attacks and cheap shots at me. I am sure you know the answer to something and can actually help someone out. So go and try. I know you can do it! Yes you can!

Have a spectacular day!:D

Last edited:

anteater

As everyone can see, your answer is no answer. You use my own quotes as your reply.
Apparently, you have a problem understanding what the purpose of the Quote function is. It is to note what part of a poster's post the responder is replying to.

I have given the answer 3 times across 2 threads. What part did you not understand?

If the items belonged to your father, they are part of his estate. And his surviving spouse is going to be entitled to a portion of the estate. And, as you told us, your sister received appointment from the PA court as the estate's personal representative. It is her duty to safeguard the assets of the estate. If that means storing them in a secure location, then that is what it means.

DLG1966

Really now... I choose not to take advice from people like you. You are truly not a nice person and I don't trust you actually know anything other than how to use the quote function. I will try it out myself in an attempt to reiterate my reply to you:

As everyone can see, your answer is no answer. You use my own quotes as your reply. Just adding your own words such as and, so, in between my quotes does not really count as you actually giving an answer.

By the way, in case you haven't received my hints I will spell it out for you. I am seeking replies from people with actual knowledge about my situation. You are not a reliable source in which to receive answers from let alone actually take advice from, and therefore ask you please stop posting your ridiculous replies.

Last edited:

anteater

Really now... I choose not to take advice from people like you. You are truly not a nice person and I don't trust you actually know anything other than how to use the quote function.
Great! Then, spend the money asking your attorneys the same questions in order to get the same answers.

DLG1966

There are other people who are a part of this forum who have answered my questions without attacking me personally. You should learn something from them.

Happy Valentine's Day Sweetheart!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">