• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How do I get off a mortgage?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tboone55

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I co-signed a mortgage with my former partner in December 2003. I lived with her until we broke up around June 2005. I moved from the residence after we broke up, and currently rent a home with a roommate. I want to see if there is any other way to get my name off the mortgage besides my ex having to either refinance the loan under her name, or her assuming the loan on her own.

Are those the ONLY 2 options I can get off a mortgage? Can I sell her my half, or any easier way that doesn't cost me an arm and a leg?

Thanks for any help!

Tina

cyjeff

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I co-signed a mortgage with my former partner in December 2003. I lived with her until we broke up around June 2005. I moved from the residence after we broke up, and currently rent a home with a roommate. I want to see if there is any other way to get my name off the mortgage besides my ex having to either refinance the loan under her name, or her assuming the loan on her own.

Are those the ONLY 2 options I can get off a mortgage? Can I sell her my half, or any easier way that doesn't cost me an arm and a leg?

Thanks for any help!

Tina
The only way to do it is for her to refinance it in her own name.

In the current financial environment, a lender is not going to give up ANYONE that they can look to for payment.

nextwife

This is WHY one does not buy with a non spouse (because family law resources are available to sort out property settlement issues between spouses) unless they have an ownership contract to address such scenarios. Frankly, buying with a short term partner is unwise for anyone.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">