• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

mortgage rep told me i was qualified for tax credit but i'm not

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

erikamc

delaware

I was seperated in February 2009. I consulted with a mortgage company before I went house shopping to make sure i could even get a mortgage. The mortgage lady assured me I was qualified and also told me about a state program that helps first time homebuyers with a down payment. She showed me how I could pay off the state money with the $8,000 tax credit I would get. I just found out i'm not qualified for the $8,000. I want to know if there is any action i can take against the company seeing as 1. i would not have rushed into buying the house to beat the deadline 2. i would not have taken out what amounts to a second mortgage on the house to make the down payment

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What did your tax advisor tell you when you questioned your eligibility prior to buying the house?

erikamc

What did your tax advisor tell you when you questioned your eligibility prior to buying the house?

i did not consult a tax advisor. asking if i should have is pointless now, but its funny that all the commercials tell you to "consult your real estate professional". Perhaps its not her "job" to know the tax laws, but my thought is if thats the case she should be upfront about it instead of telling me i qualified and setting me up with a second mortgage that i need the $8,000 to pay off.

nextwife

You consult your real estate professional to find the house , you consult a tax professional for tax advice. A real estate professional may know the broad details of the plan, but cannot know particulars about your situation that may be variables.

Last edited:

erikamc

You consult your real estate professional to find the house , you consult a tax professional for tax advice. A real estate professional may know the broad details of the plan, but cannot know particulars about your situation that may be variables.

so is the answer to my question "no"? the mortgage lady did nothing wrong and I should just suck it up and keep hoping a meteor falls on her head?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">