• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

property line

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

carol johnson

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? alabama I build a fence 4 years ago to keep my dogs . I didn't knows the property line .The house sold and i did not know that they had their property surveyed until recently when I begin to have my property surveyed and found out that their surveyor used my fence as the property line as he was the one I called to do my job. He told me he though I had my fence put up by a company , that is why he used it as the line . I have hired another man to do my job because I thought this would be a mess since he did the job next door . My question is when I put up my fence did I establish the property. I won't to take down my fence because my dog has disappeared and move my other dog to my front fence . The house next door doesn't know that the surveyor use my fence as the line and I did not have it installed by a company . If i get my property surveyed and the property line is different can I move my fence thank youWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ALABAMA

jimmler

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? alabama I build a fence 4 years ago to keep my dogs . I didn't knows the property line .The house sold and i did not know that they had their property surveyed until recently when I begin to have my property surveyed and found out that their surveyor used my fence as the property line as he was the one I called to do my job. He told me he though I had my fence put up by a company , that is why he used it as the line . I have hired another man to do my job because I thought this would be a mess since he did the job next door . My question is when I put up my fence did I establish the property. I won't to take down my fence because my dog has disappeared and move my other dog to my front fence . The house next door doesn't know that the surveyor use my fence as the line and I did not have it installed by a company . If i get my property surveyed and the property line is different can I move my fence thank youWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ALABAMA
Did you hire a licensed surveyor to do a full boundary survey, including setting the corners?

When your neighbors' house sold it is possible they did not have a full survey, but instead a mortgage survey or location drawing that does not show accurately where property lines are. I would not move a fence based on a mortgage survey or location drawing.

If you get a full boundary survey, you should be fine in moving your fence to the line or just inside of the line. You can contact your local planning and zoning office to see if there are any setbacks (from the property line) for building a fence.

jimmler
I am not a lawyer, I have been in surveying since 1989.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">