• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

California-Prior Intent to lay off.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

TVnews5

My wife, (and sveral others),was "laid off" from her company Friday.
It is assumed that the company's actions were premeditated and carefully planned.
The relationship between my wife and her employer was such that they were aware that we were in the process of making the bold financial step of purchasing our first home.
Even with planned lay-offs, the company did not allude that any jobs were to be eliminated.
Ethically and morally, it seems that it would have been prudent for company officials to advise my wife of their plans prior to us purchasing the home.
We would not have done it, had we known her job would be eliminated the day our first mortgage payment was due. The unexpected action has put us in a financial bind, unecessarily.

Do we have any recourse against her employer?

B

buddy2bear

Was this a permanent layoff or temporary?

If permanent and if 100 or more (sometimes 50, depends) were laid off at the same time, then the company had the obligation to give notice under the WARN Act, unless it was an emergency and unforeseen. Surf the DOL website and read through the WARN Act. Also, if the employees laid off are all within the "protected" age group -- 40 and up, then there might be questions raised under the Age Discrimination in Employment Act.

Ethics and morality are nice, but companies rarely possess them because the conflict with the almighty dollar.

In any event, a company does not have the obligation to consider your family's financial set up whenever they institute any policy which might effect you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">