• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Loosing my home to a nursing home?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

fancy Waldon

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alabama.
This is my question.... Last year I bought my mom's house and land. Lately she has been spending all of her money, writing bad checks, buying prescription drugs from several different people. I'm afraid she is going to end up in a mental hospital. Is there anyway that the state or hospital could take the home and land I purchased from her last year? I do have the deeds but it was wrote up like it was pretty much a gift to me, I think the papers said I bought it for $10.00.... can the state take this? The only insurance my mom has is Medicaid and C+.... Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Tammy

Last edited:

anteater

If you are now the owner, they can't "...take the home and land."

If you purchased the property for something approximating fair market value (FMV), then there should be no problem at all. Having an appraisal or something else that would objectively establish FMV at the time of sale would be a good idea.

If you did not pay FMV, then the difference between FMV and what you paid would be considered a gift to you. And Medicaid will look back 5 years from the time of application for gifts. If your mother should be found to have made (more than minor) gifts during that period, she will be disqualified from receiving benefits for a certain period.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">