• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

I need Real Estate advice, please!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Brownsugar1975

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
New York

I want to first thank you all for your undeserved kindness in providing your assistance.

I have a friend who was defrauded by his own daughter. She, his daughter and her husband wanted to go into the real estate business about 2-3 years ago; I think before the real estate and market crashed. Anyway, she asked that her father go in with the business and he agreed, but only under the agreement that they were to start off with 1 or 2 houses. If things went well, then they would consider purchasing more. His credit was impeccable! Anyway, to make a long story short, she and her husband went behind his back and purchased almost a million dollars worth of homes instead. However, since the real estate crashed and everything was in his in his name, he now is faced with owing so much money to creditors, banks, etc. He has seen lawyers, one of which stole his money, but other lawyers told him that he should "wait it out"; I don't understand what that really means. In the meantime, he's getting mail, calls, etc. from creditors and companies and I feel so awful for him. His daughter forged his name on documents, unbeknownst to him, and she and her husband is MIA (missing in action); no where to be found. He can't file for bankruptcy. I need your help or advice and I appreciate all that you can give. He can't retire and enjoy the fruits of his labour and I hurt for him. Please help! :(

DefraudedBuyer

If Lawyer steals money

This addresses only your contention that one of the lawyers your friend hired took his money. If a lawyer takes one's money and does not do what he is contracted to do or seriously neglect one's case or steals money owed to you from a 3rd party, then you may have recourse. This does not apply to simply being overcharged for services rendered. Contact the State Bar association and tell them that you want to file a claim with their Client Security Fund. Many bar associations have some provision for reimbursing all or some of a client's money when a lawyer commits theft, which includes taking a retainer and doing nothing. It doesn't cost anything to fill out the forms that they will send you and your friend might get some of his money back. He has some huge problems and he should call the police and report the forgery, but this may help a little. Good luck.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
New York

I want to first thank you all for your undeserved kindness in providing your assistance.

I have a friend who was defrauded by his own daughter. She, his daughter and her husband wanted to go into the real estate business about 2-3 years ago; I think before the real estate and market crashed. Anyway, she asked that her father go in with the business and he agreed, but only under the agreement that they were to start off with 1 or 2 houses. If things went well, then they would consider purchasing more. His credit was impeccable! Anyway, to make a long story short, she and her husband went behind his back and purchased almost a million dollars worth of homes instead. However, since the real estate crashed and everything was in his in his name, he now is faced with owing so much money to creditors, banks, etc. He has seen lawyers, one of which stole his money, but other lawyers told him that he should "wait it out"; I don't understand what that really means. In the meantime, he's getting mail, calls, etc. from creditors and companies and I feel so awful for him. His daughter forged his name on documents, unbeknownst to him, and she and her husband is MIA (missing in action); no where to be found. He can't file for bankruptcy. I need your help or advice and I appreciate all that you can give. He can't retire and enjoy the fruits of his labour and I hurt for him. Please help! :(
**A: I am sure that there is much more to this story.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">