• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

subdivision sign

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kwal53103

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Wisconsin

I have a neighbor who owns a subdivision that is directly behind our lot and the entrance road is next to our property. We have a corner lot not part of his subdivision. He wants to put up a metal sign about 4 feet wide and would have to put a post for the sign in our yard because it cannot be in the ditch/too close to the road. we have a town hall meeting coming up and i just wanted to know if we allow him to put the post in our yard would we have trouble with selling our property if we ever moved? are there any specific questions i should ask at the town meeting? we just moved into this house just over a year ago and our new to being homeowners.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
How much rent will you be charging him for this? Seems to me that a constant income might actually be a positive thing for some people.

drewguy

How much rent will you be charging him for this? Seems to me that a constant income might actually be a positive thing for some people.
Yeah, definitely ask for some rent. And sign a lease for a specific period of time, renewable, and make it terminable with some period of notice. Then if you sell you can tell the buyers "I have a lease that pays $25/month for a sign, but it can be terminated". Then they have the option of taking it or leaving it.

154NH773

Rent or a lease would be nice, but whatever you do, DO NOT grant an easement for placement of the sign on your property.
Even if they offer to pay you for an easement, you may have trouble selling the house in the future with an easement burden on the property.
There is no reason to bring the subject up at Town meeting. The Town has nothing to do with your private matters. There may, however, be ordinances or other laws governing signs on private property that you should investigate before proceeding.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">