• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

can i be fired for my religion?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

speedyfedie

fired for religion?

WI: i am a student and have a question that i would like answered. if my religion observes sat as holy days and religious doctrine forbids me from working on sat. i haven't worked a sat in this job for 6 years. can i be fired if i do not work on sat? thank you for your help.

B

buddy2bear

Religion and politics are touchy subjects.

If your employer wants you to work on your religious holiday, you can tell them that you are unable to and suggest an alternative -- either find a co-worker who usually has the day off and trade with them or work a day that you normally have off in exchange for having the Saturday off. Try to find a compromise if possible. If, however, you are unable to find a compromise, then you can file a charge of religious discrimination with the EEOC.

However, if the employer can prove that giving you your religious holiday is an undue burden on the employer, then you will just have to find a job that gives you that day off or stay there and work it.

A

Always searching

Ok, in your other post on the other board, you state that you are gay and you are afraid to be fired, now here is the issue of religious holidays. I smell a rat. They are pushing the issue of religion and your working on Saturday for the simple reason, they know they can be sued for firing you for your sexual preference. They have sat around and tried to figure out how to push you out. It is really time to see an attorney and find out what exactly your rights are and quote them verbatim and be prepared to sue if necessary. My best advice is to document everything-what everyone said, dates and times. You will need them. This just seems like a common sense observation to me. Good luck and document, document, document.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">