• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Extremely complex case, PLEASE HELP

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jpw9

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts.

Hey, I am in a really bad situation, and I really hope the people here can help me resolve it. Several lawyers have been involved, and it is about to settle but I am not sure about recent events.

When I was 15 my godfather died, He left me his house in his will, as well as 60% of his remaining estate to my my mother and her children. After taxes 60% is supposed to be a little over 600k which is going into a trust. He also owned a good deal of art work. There is also a foundation that claims they own the artwork.
Both my parents are lawyers and last year my father agreed to represent me pro-bono in this case. He worked out a deal with the foundation that basically was they will be buying my interest as well as my mother and my siblings interest in the artwork. When all of this was about to settle my sister turned 18, and my father decided to represent her too. I believed this to be a conflict of interest but he did it anyway. He told me that he was to get 15k for lawyers fees out of this case, even though he said he was working pro-bono. I was ok with that because it wasnt coming out of pocket. He also wrote that the foundation agreed to pay me a certain amount and my sister a lesser amount because she had less interest in the artwork. I do not believe the foundation offered him that deal as my mothers attorney had no knowledge of that. Now my sister is not content with anything but half of what I get, my father is advising me to take that. I really think he is screwing this case up, (I thought about putting this in lawyer malpractice but I do not want to sue him.) I dont have the funds to hire another lawyer unless I mortgage or sell my house. Should I just give my sister half and forget it? Or try to hire another lawyer to sort everything out, including getting my father to stop asking for more money? I am really confused on what to do, usually when I need legal advice I ask my parents, but each seems to just want money. I really could use your help.

ThanksWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Dandy Don

You need to hire your own attorney just to get everything sorted out. Attorney may be willing to defer collecting his fee until you have received your money. Your father is not being truthful with you and even if he agreed to work pro-bono for you, you should have gotten a signed agreement from him stating exactly those terms, although I understand that you trusted him. There will be a paper trail of exactly what his dealings are with these assets and as soon as your attorney has helped you get that information, you will be in a better position to decide exactly how to proceed. If your father has any further discussions with you about this estate, you need to have the courage to ask him to present documentation for whatever he says.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">