• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Daughter Past With No Will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lostourdaughter

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

My daughter passed away last month and the title of the trailer is in her name. I'm wondering what happens to the trailer since she owned it solely. There is $1,500 in taxes owed and $1,100 in rent in arrears and my fears are that if I assume the title I would also assume the debt that is attached to it. There was no will or life insurance to assist with expenses.

anteater

Condolences on the loss.

If your daughter was not married and had no children, then the parents stand to inherit under PA intestacy.

The taxes and rent arrearages are not going to go away. You could open probate, sell the trailer, pay the taxes and rent, and then keep the remainder.

ecmst12

Or theoretically, you could pay off the debt and taxes and keep the trailer if you like. But it sounds like you don't have the means to do this.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">