• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Completion of Probate??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mmmdrop

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington State

My father died a while back, and while digging through the massive amount of paperwork he had accumulated over the years, I happen to find the probate paperwork from when my grandmother passed away nearly 20 years ago, and its caused me to have quite a few questions.

Here's the gist of what happened with her probate. Before she died, she had made sure my father's name was on all her bank accounts, certificates of deposit, etc. with rights of survivorship, and quit claimed her home to him as well. I'm guessing that my aunt - her daughter - wasn't very happy with that fact, and never decided to do anything or say anything about it until after my grandmother passed away. So she in turn enlisted her son-in-law to file as administrator of estate and got an estate lawyer to open up probate knowing full well that there was no estate left to probate in hopes that she would be able to convince a judge that my grandmother was incompetent at the time of distribution. They were unable to do so - and after they found out my grandmother's physician was more than happy to take the stand to declare her competency, my aunt decided it would be best to make a deal with my father to just close probate as long as he paid the attorney's fees.

This all being documented in the probate filings, and with them signing off on the completion of probate - is this legal proof of them acknowledging my father as the sole heir of the estate?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Seems to me that

...she had made sure my father's name was on all her bank accounts, certificates of deposit, etc. with rights of survivorship, and quit claimed her home to him as well.
Shows that he was the OWNER (not the heir) of the assets.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">