• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Executor won't send money

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Autovelox

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

My brother is the executor of my fathers estate. The estate has been settled for about a year and the money is in the estate account. Everybody else got their share in a chunk, but because of my age I was put on a trust fund. Most of the emails I send him are either ignored, or I get pointless replies. Is there any way to get a court order or something so he has to send me the money? Whatever solutions there are, how cheap would they be? I don't have lots of money to spend.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

My brother is the executor of my fathers estate. The estate has been settled for about a year and the money is in the estate account. Everybody else got their share in a chunk, but because of my age I was put on a trust fund. Most of the emails I send him are either ignored, or I get pointless replies. Is there any way to get a court order or something so he has to send me the money? Whatever solutions there are, how cheap would they be? I don't have lots of money to spend.
What do the "pointless replies" say about your questions?

Specifically, how is the trust set up to distribute the money?

How old are you?

Dandy Don

Please answer the questions you have been given.

The money may have been set aside in a trust fund, OR you could have been lied to if they are stealing your money and hope you won't find out about it. Go to the county courthouse probate court and look at the probate file to see what the will says and what has been done regarding the estate so far.

IF the will shows how much money you are to receive, then the best thing you can do is to consult with an attorney so he can represent you. That way the executor won't be able to stall the attorney like he is stalling you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">