• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Proprietary real estate name

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

yarmouthhmm

I am a broker in Massachusetts who wants to change my company name. The new name would include MLS Listing Service. My MLS association says that I cannot do so as both MLS and Multiple Listing Service are proprietary names. Is this true? I see other companies with MLS as part of their name.
Thank you.

latigo

Why are you posting such a question in this category?

What is the relevancy between real property law and the infringement upon another’s established property right. which is personal property?

Anyway, it appears that the designation MLS®, is a registered trademark with ownership held by the National Association of Realtors®.

If you intend any way to incorporate the trademark in your business or domain name, I suspect that to avoid a federal lawsuit you will need the consent of the owner.

yarmouthhmm

Thank you Tranquility... I appreciate your response. And Latigo, thank you too. But, this is my first time on this site, and I was posting this question here because of the category "other real estate law questions." My apologies if I was in error.

tranquility

I have many clients who make their money from the MLS. I *know* they initiate lawsuits against those who diminish the value of the designation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">