• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

assalt and battery

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

Tina Saunders

please answer asap.my husband and I have been married for 14 years and we live in VA and have 3 children together.
last night we had the worst fight ever and we became very physical.i called 911 and we were both arrested and charged with assalt and battery.this has never happened to us before
and we have to go to court on the 6th.i'm wondering what our
potential punishments will likely be.

L

lawrat

§ 18.2-57.2. Assault and battery against a family or household member.

A. Any person who commits an assault and battery against a family or household member shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.

B. On a third or subsequent conviction for assault and battery against a family or household member, where it is alleged in the warrant, information, or indictment on which a person is convicted, that (i) such person has been previously convicted twice of assault and battery against a family or household member, or of a similar offense under the law of any other jurisdiction, within ten years of the third or subsequent offense, and (ii) each such assault and battery occurred on different dates, such person shall be guilty of a Class 6 felony.

C. Whenever a warrant for a violation of this section is issued, the magistrate shall issue an emergency protective order as authorized by § 16.1-253.4, except if the defendant is a minor, an emergency protective order shall not be required.

D. The definition of "family or household member" in § 16.1-228 applies to this section.

§ 18.2-11. Punishment for conviction of misdemeanor.

The authorized punishments for conviction of a misdemeanor are:

(a) For Class 1 misdemeanors, confinement in jail for not more than twelve months and a fine of not more than $2,500, either or both.

Better get a good criminal attorney and divorce attorney.
http://www.attorneypages.com or the Virginia state bar association.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">