• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

chicken or the egg first??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

ssandy

So I've come up with this great universal name for my business, gonna make that move from employee to boss......now need to register my domain, get a professional logo made (gonna try elance), print up all my basics. As each day goes by I meet potential clients and do NOT have a business card made-up yet--letting them literally slip thru my fingers. Reason for the hold up is-I need the domain registered and logo made out -and of course register the business with my state.... so I can then print out a "complete" business card. MY PROBLEM IS THIS--as soon as I mention my business name to anyone--It is prime to be stolen. I'm even afraid to do a domain name search on it for fear that the "domain people" will see a hint of interest in the name and BAM-take it--then I have to buy it or abandon the name altogether ((and I've spent many sleepless nights to come up with my name)) I have done a trademark search on it at the govt site and it is not there so thats a start. My husband says that if I register the domain name -no one else can take it (???). Well, yes I know it wont be duplicated online but what about in the real world? And I feel as if them domain people will steal the chair from under you if they could just to make a buck---hey--chair.com....lol...they'll probably take that and then make you pay for it. If I register my business with the state, then set-up my domain....whats to stop someone in another state opening up the same business with same name. The name I came up with implies the type of business. You cant have the same name for example on the west coast and not be doing the same business. I'm even scared to talk to anyone about a logo--hence cant print up my business card yet. Do I have any rights if I am registered in New York State and have the domain name registered? Of course, as I build it I will trademark it eventually--or should I trademark first?!?!? Can't I do business for a while first to see how it goes then trademark it? Is there such a thing as "first dibs" on it even tho your not trademarked yet. Does registering you business in your state protect you nationally???? I have already had a great aol name and ebay name that I had sat on and procrastinated --taken and turned into a SUCCESSFULL business by somebody LOCAL and I feel like I handed it to them on a plate ((I kick myself daily)). This problem is eating away at me cause I cant start any step unless I have some sort of security with my name first. Do I have any rights when I start- up or is trademark the only way to start? What about "first dibs" on it?

L

lawrat

Contact the u.s. trademark office (www.uspto.gov)
(and next time you speak to anyone, you make them sign a confidentiality agremeent stating they cannot use it, steal it, tell anyone else about it, etc).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">