• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Conviction question appears on license renewal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

John Buchanan

My application for renewal of my five-year professional license to teach in the District of Columbia Public Schools contains a new question this year. "Have you ever been convicted of any violation of the law?" How can I find out whether I have any "convictions" on my record? Do they mean moving traffic violations? Do they include convictions that have been expunged?

D

D. D. Lessenberry

Call your state police and see if they allow you to fill out a criminal record check to be mailed to YOU (PA does--it's called an act 34 clearance.)

Expunged SHOULD mean wiped out; however, Phila is currently asking gun registrants (not your prob), have you ever had a crime expunged.

Minor traffic violations should NOT be included in a criminal record check.

Good luck

A

Always searching

Go to District Court building. Ask where you can obtain a copy of your record. It will be in the records section. It will cost around 10.00. It is a common occurance. You have to obtain this record for clearance to work for the government (post office especially). There is no particular form. You have to have your driver's license and pay for the information. It is certified. They don't pay for that information any more. It is up to the individual to bring that information to them.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">