• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Permits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

slaBat

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon
I just found out that my homes has no permits?? I was going to add a bedroom and now I can't? What do I do???

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon
I just found out that my homes has no permits?? I was going to add a bedroom and now I can't? What do I do???
**A: hire an architect to draw plans to submit to the building department and apply for the permit. Plans should include the existing structure plus your addition.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Actually, you should hire an contractor to advise you on what steps you will need to do and to proceed with those steps. The contractor will take care of the architect. All-in-one is much easier ;)

HomeGuru

Actually, you should hire an contractor to advise you on what steps you will need to do and to proceed with those steps. The contractor will take care of the architect. All-in-one is much easier ;)
**A: I have had to deal with many cases over design build issues.

Cedrus

Can you find out what contractor built the home? Try and find him and seek info re permits.

Maybe your permits were misfiled. Is there ANYTHING that the city or county has under your address?

Ask some old-timers in your neighborhood if they remember who built your house.

If your address is 125 Jones St., look or ask someone to look for 125 Smith St or 126 Jones St.

DAD10

Re permits

Homes that are finished "do not have permits" they are issued "A Certificate of occupancy" Older properties have a grandfather clause that is accepted for this situation. Your property tax bill would be a good start as it should show improvements with the applicable taxes. Your addition will not be "grandfathered" in and will require a permit for the addition. I hope this helps you. Good Luck:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">