• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to start a business in VA?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

acinorev

Hi!

I´d like to know how to start a business in northern VA...
I want like a home-based business, sole proprietorship and would like to sell cupcakes, cookies and chocolates.

I want to do it through a webpage (Only webpage, no store, no shop...)

I´m under the idea that probably I´ll need to manufacture everything in a commercial kitchen... is that right? (If I´m wrong, please let me know)

What kind of licenses and permits do I need? --
I´d like to operate either in Loudoun county or fairfax county

thanks!

racer72

Get a job in the industry. Learn all you can. When you think you know everything, you are about half way there. Take classes on running a small business from a local community college or trade school. Business administration and tax law classes are important too. Buy a couple hours of time with an attorney that deals with small businesses. Be sure to ask questions about local, state and federal health and safety laws. This all should take 2 to 4 years. Realize that 50% of all small business start up fail within 1 year, 90% after 5.

There is also no way that anyone can tell you how to run your small business through an online forum, it takes hands on learning and education to be successful.

FlyingRon

Actually, in Virginia, you can have a home-based bakery business. You will have to have someone trained to meet the compliance requirements of that operation however.

You'll need a business license and if you're not operating under your own name, then either register the fictitious name (you can do both at the county courthouse typically) or a corporation (that you file with the state).
In Fairfax you can find the forms for this on Homepage - Fairfax County, Virginia. It takes about ten minutes down at the court house to do the registration (and something like $10). They have lots of info there. They'll also have information on the gross receipts tax, the sales taxes, and the litter tax (I think you may be subject to that).

If you're running the business out of your house (even with no employees or customers coming to call) you may run afoul of local zoning or your covenants.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">